Cathy teaches the First Touch Programme as developed by the International Association of Infant Massage (IAIM), a research-based programme taught in 52 countries worldwide.
The classes consist of five sessions of 1-1.5hrs, spread over 5 consecutive weeks.
Sessions are held at weekly intervals to allow your baby to get used to being massaged, as well as time to adjust to the new experiences, it also allows you to observe changes in your baby over time and integrate massage into you and your baby’s routine.
Each week focuses on different areas of the body as well as discussion topics.
What to expect in a class:
* Classes are baby focused and parents are encouraged to feed, nurse and attend to their baby’s needs.
* Both parents and main carers are welcome to attend.
* Classes are kept small to ensure you receive one-on-one attention.
* The group environment is supportive and parents can share experiences and learn from each other.
* We will be mostly sitting on the floor, so please wear comfortable clothing.
* There will be plenty of time to practice and repeat techniques so you can feel confident.
* You will receive a bottle of organic massage oil to keep and a folder with handouts covering the massage sequences and strokes so you can practice at home.
What the course covers:
* Preparing for massaging your baby
* The best oils to use for infant massage
* Baby’s behavioural states and the best time to massage
* Being aware of baby’s cues and non-verbal communication
* The benefits of infant massage
* Techniques for relaxing your baby
* Infant massage stroke sequence as developed and recommended by the IAIM.
Why massage your baby:
* It is a beautiful way to communicate with your baby
* It can help promote secure attachment and bonding
* It promotes nurturing and positive touch
* To help improve your baby’s sleep
* To help relieve constipation, gas, colic and reflux
* To assist your baby’s cognitive development
Places are limited and enrolment is essential. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0402016029 for further information.